Tuesday, April 30, 2013

4/24 I arrived at the CCM- Texas Flag... or Chili

 I arrived at the CCM (MTC) last Wednesday and a LOT has happend
this week.. I'm already on my 4th companion and second district. I
guess no one can handle being my companion ;) I've switched rooms 3
times now and moving is getting redundant. I'm already digging the
whole no rest thing and am constantly battling sleep but don't worry I
win at least 4/5 of the time.
   I'm learning a lot from the language but I'm having trouble
retaining it.. I've decided to memorize some scriptures and get the
old brain working on remembering stuff again.
   You probably want to hear about my companions (well probable not
but I'm going to tell you). They have all been great! well.. the first
one I never met.. he just never showed up. They put me in a trio after
that with Elder Brown and Elder Hoagland who were both really awesome
and helped me grow a LOT. Elder Brown became the district leader and
even though we're not companions we still are close. My companion now
is Elder Hoy who is awesome too. He started out as a bit of a slacker
but is changing fast and we are getting stuff done together! He's
great and has some of the coolest RANDOM talents.
   I love the language and have already memorized Mi Proposito (My
Purpose) and los articulos de fe 1y2 working on the third today! I
catch myself thinking and accidentally mixing spanish words into my
english study so I know thats a good sign! I can't wait to be fluent
and just talk como un hefe.
   I'll admit it hasn't been all sunshine here and its been super
hard.. I often feel that I'm not learning or I can't focus on things
so I get down on myself.. but I'm trying to remember that I've only
been here 1 week and I cant get down about not knowing EVERYTHING
untill at least 3 weeks.
   I have progressively been praying more and more as the days go on
and I am dearly learning that I NEED God's help cause I'm new to this
whole mission thing. I've been helping everyone I can here and have
learned to love everyone I see! I can't think of a single person here
at the CCM that I have even the smallest dislike for.. It kinda makes
me sad when I see other missionaries talk bad about each other behind
their backs and I notice its ALWAYS cause they really don't know
them.. They haven't taken the time to get to know them before they
make a decision and often that person is one of my favorite people
BECAUSE I got to know them.
   Thanks Mom for the spanish before the mission it has helped me a
lot! Thanks Logan for the tips you gave me right before I left! I'm
trying my best to be what you guys expect me to be but I'm trying
hardest to be ready to be WHATEVER God decides he wants me to be. I've
already changed tons of decided stuff solely because it's just not
what God has planned for me and I'm loving the whole experience of
just seeing God's hand in moving stuff around on a daily basis!
   Everybody stay cool and know that I haven't been thinking about you
much.. Thats a good thing by the way. I found out that I can send
stuff with normal american stamps if I send them through the mail
pouch at the mission office so if you don't get a letter back from me
for a few weeks don't worry just chillax and it'll come (Just kidding
I probably forgot to write you back.. just send me another letter and
make me feel bad). The mail here in Guatemala is safe and so you don't
have to worry about sending stuff. If you ever do send a package the
Hermano in charge of mail here says as soon as the customs people read
"Elder" or "Hermana" they just put it aside and never even check it..
so just make sure it says "Elder Hyrum Clark" and no nicknames or
funny names and it'll pass through better than anyone elses packages!
:) don't put anything in the letters but letters and pictures though.
 "Its pretty safe here in Guatemala.. We have two
security gaurds outside the gate and they always have one at every
corner on the way to the temple.. I've only heard 3 gunshots so yeah..
Its Super chill here" 

   I love all and had tons of things I was going to say but I lost
myself in the work and those things got shoved aside so I appologize
for that.. not many funny stories this time.
   WAIT!! I remembered one! Okay so in my Trio I had Elder Brown y
Elder Hoagland who are both from texas.. Elder Brown brought a Texas
flag with him and would hang it above his closet every night when we
got back to the room.. This went of for a few days before a latino
from Chilé walks in and tells us (in spanish which I could barely make
out) that he loves our Chilén flag... it took 4 days for two Texans to
figure out they had been shouting "Viva la Texas" to a Chilén flag! It
made me laugh so much! (The only difference between the two is  that
the Texas flag has the blue go all the way to the bottom while the
Chilén flag only has the blue square in the top left corner).
   Well I'm going to go now.. enjoy the states! I'm enjoying the food
so far and love it WAY more than I imagin the Provo MTC to be like (We
get enchiladas and steaks and potates and delicious salads.. and
fish.. bleck..) I've eaten everything theyve given me though! its fun
to get a drumstick with the knee cap still on it.. its flexible and
posable! (anyways thats gross).
   Talk to you all later! Hope things go well!

No comments:

Post a Comment